Technology March Madness

Every year, March Madness is upon us. Basketball fans everywhere rejoice as every copier in America is struggling to print millions of copies of the NCAA Bracket. Although I appreciate the enthusiasm fans bring to the tournament season, I am not a big basketball fan. Therefore, I started a Technology Final Four bracket a few years ago that coincides with March Madness. I saw a similar bracket in a post a few years ago and I would love to give kudos to the technology person. But, for the life of me, I cannot remember who it is. If you know, write the person's name under the comment section below so I can give that person the credit they deserve! 

Here's how it works: I send out a Google sheet with the bracket of technology apps and websites I believe would be of interest to teachers. This year, some of my teammates used Google extensions for "teams". Each App is hyperlinked to the website of that product. The teacher decides which product is better and moves that name to the next round. I give the participants about a week to fill out their bracket and hand them in completed. Once I have the brackets, I make paper copies of each sheet so I can tally the results and keep up with each participant. 

The tournament "starts" when I send out a Google form for the teachers to fill out for Round 1. I tally the results and update the teachers on the "winners" of round 1. They keep up with their brackets individually either with a paper copy or a digital copy. Every day I make a new Google form based on the winning results of the previous round until it gets down to only one App "Winner". 

Every correct answer that wins that round is scored differently:
1 point = first round 
2 points = second round 
3 points = Semi-finals
5 points = Finals
10 points = Winner

Last year, we gave away a Google Chromecast to the winner. This year, it seems Dunkin' Donuts is popular, so I offered a dozen donuts to the winner. I'm sure you will modify this to your staffs liking and needs. Let me know how it goes! 


Comments

  1. This is great. I was wondering is there a website that can do all of this for me? Similar to espn/yahoo but obviously not a sports one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, not that I know of.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Differentiated Instruction (& Tiered Instruction)

Google Summit Edtech Takeaways